Share:
Sleep Education


American Academy of Sleep Medicine 
  

 
 

http://school.sleepeducation.com

Find a Center
Use the following fields to locate sleep centers in your area.



Search radius:

5 ways to help your child get better sleep

Filed in
  • children
  • parenting

Taylor Kasper  |  Jun 17, 2015
Email   Print


If parents around the world can agree on anything, it’s this — getting kids to sleep is hard.

new study involved 10,085 mothers from 14 different countries.  It looked at the effects of what a regular bedtime routine would do for kids who were 5 years old or younger. The results were conclusive. Children with a consistent bedtime routine experienced reduced night awakenings, increased sleep duration, shorter time in bed before falling asleep and earlier bedtimes. These sleep patterns established early on are more likely to be carried through to adulthood.

But before you can reap the benefits of better sleep, you have to find a routine that will work. Here are a few things you can do to ensure your child gets more restful sleep.

Stay away from exciting activities at least a half hour before bedtime. Relaxing activities like brushing teeth, reading and bathing are good ways for your child to wind down from the day. Stress-inducing activities release a chemical in your brain called cortisol, which increases alertness. Eventually, the bedtime routine is going to work both ways, and your child will start asking for a bath or reading time as they get sleepy.

Choose a bedtime — and stick to it. Don’t let the sleep cycle pinwheel spin past the bed time.  A consistent bed time throughout the year, including summers and weekends, is important to keep your kid on track. Your child’s internal bedtime clock, also known as the circadian rhythm, partially relies on the cues you’ve set as part of the routine. This is due to the fact that we have a 25-hour biological clock running on a 24-hour cycle.

Give your child some choice in the matter. They may not have a say in when they have to hit the hay, but giving your child some freedom.  Letting your child choose which pajamas they want to wear or which book they want to read can make a huge difference in how much of a fight they put up.

Keep it cool. If the bedroom has an extreme temperature leaning toward hot or cold, change the thermostat to a temperature that’s a bit milder. Your core body temperature naturally drops during the night. So a cool room can help promote sleep.  But if a bedroom is too hot or cold, it’s going to wake your child up.

Don’t give in to the last minute requests. One more book, one more kiss, one more snack — parents have heard it all. Once a kid starts rattling off the list of demands, it may be hard to stop. So put a premeditated halt on it. Work those demands into your child’s bedtime routine.  When it’s lights off, make it clear that everything’s already been checked off on the bedtime list except the last thing: sleep.


2 Comments

  1. 1 AASM 18 Aug
    Interesting! Recent research has examined differences in the sleep of twins. One study of twins found that genetic influences accounted for 37% of the variance in evening vs. morning preference. The remaining 63% of variance was due to non-shared environmental influences that are unique to each twin. You can read more at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3836345/. 
  2. 2 Lydia 18 Aug
    My husband  and I made sure to have our children do everything in the article to ensure good sleeping habits.
    Now that they are teens. One still has these habits and the other teen is a night owl . They are twins. Not sure what happened.

Comment

  1.