Children, teens and adults can use this calculator to identify an appropriate bedtime. Simply select your age and choose your wake time to see the results.
The Bedtime Calculator is based on the sleep duration recommendations of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine for children and adults. To promote optimal health, the AASM recommends getting the following amounts of sleep on a regular basis:
- Infants: 4 months to 12 months old will need 12 to 16 hours including naps.
- Ages 1 and 2: A child will need 11 to 14 hours including naps.
- Ages 3 to 5: A child will need 10 to 13 hours including naps.
- Ages 6 to 12: For a good night’s sleep a 6 to 12-year-old will need 9 to 12 hours.
- Ages 13 to 18: For a good night’s sleep most teens will need 8 to 10 hours.
- Adults: For a good nights sleep most adults will need 7 hours or more.