This sample letter gives specific tips on writing a successful letter to your legislator regarding your chosen topic. Each bolded entry is a part of the letter; the rest of the text provides information and tips regarding what should be included within the bolded section of the letter.
Your address line:
- Include your name, address, and email
- If you are using letterhead already including this information, this can be removed.
Legislator Address Line:
- Include the address of the Legislator
- Address the letter to the Honorable (Full Name)
- Dear Representative (Last Name)
- Dear Senator (Last Name)
- Dear Mister/Madam (Title): For a chairman or Speaker of the House
Be concise. Keep your letter to one page if possible.
- Paragraph 1
- Clearly identify yourself as a constituent
- Identify the specific bill number you are addressing in the letter (i.e., HR111 or S222)
- Provide a short explanation as to why you are writing the letter of your personal connection to the issue
- Paragraph 2
- Provide a detailed explanation of the specific issue
- Include any relevant data or research supporting your argument or other information that may persuade the legislator to take action
- Paragraph 3
- Ask or direct the legislator to take some sort of specific action (i.e., vote yes or no, co-sponsor a bill, contact the AASM)
- Thank the legislator for their support
- Ask the legislator to contact you with any questions or for follow up
- Direct the legislator to contact the AASM if this is an AASM-specific initiative